Blaundus ancient site is located in Sulumenli village, 40 kilometers to the center of Usak. It was founded in western Anatolia in the 4th century BC by settlers who came from Macedonia after the conquests of Alexander the Great, and they called themselves as "Blaundus of Macedonia". After Alexander's death in 323 BC, the area was ruled by Antigonus Monophtalmos, one of Alexander's generals, then by Lysimachus in 301 BC. Later on in 188 BC it became a part of Pergamum Kingdom, until 133 BC when the Kingdom was passed to the Roman Empire, during which Blaundus lived its heydays around 1st century AD. In the 5th century AD the city became part of the patriarchy of Sebaste, and then it was abandoned in the 12th century. In 1845 William John Hamilton, an English geologist and traveler, found an inscription near the site which made clear that the name of the ancient city was Blaundus. The symbol of the city was the double horse.
The site is located on a peninsula surrounded by deep valleys. Today only few remains of the ancient city survived to our days, such as; parts of the walls, Hellenistic entrance arch of the northern walls, 140 meters-long (460 feet) stadium located in the center, remains of the theater, the necropolis, minting sections, some administrative buildings, temple of Demeter, and temple of the Roman Emperor Claudius.
Recent findings of cylinder-seals during archaeological excavations makes us believe that there was already a settlement here at the beginning of the II millennium BC, belonging to the Assyrian trade colony period.