Hasankeyf was the capital of the Artuklu Seljucks in the period 1102-1232. It is well known for its structure and remains belonging to various Islamic reigns. Remains on both banks of the Tigris (Dicle) river will be submerged upon the completion of Ilusu Dam nearby Batman province. Salvation works were started in 1988. Though the original founders of the settlement are not known, scholars state that nearby caves were inhabited since prehistoric times. The settlement is cited as "Hesna Kepha" in Syriac sources while it is known as Hisn Kayfa in Arabic which means "rock fortress".
Hasankeyf enjoyed a rapid development in the past since it was located at the junction of two historically important routes, the "silk road" and "kings' way", and near an important waterway as the Tigris. Its fortress, built by the Artuklu in the 12th century, is placed on a massive rock 100 meters high from the Tigris. The Grand (Ulu) Mosque, built in the 14th century is at the top of this hill. The bridge on the Tigris could survive to our times with its three pillars. This impressive bridge is known to be 100 meters long. It used to have, on its arches, human relieves holding unidentified objects in their hands as once seen in other bridges in the area such as Malabadi and Cizre. Other important structures in the town include Imam Abdullah Lodge, Zeynel Bey's tomb, Rizk Mosque, Koc Mosque and Eyyubi Tomb.